Dog bites can cause serious injuries and the claims process very difficult to navigate. If a dog bites you at a public park and runs away hopefully the owner will stick around to give you their contact and insurance information but often they are difficult to find. It is very important to be aware of your surroundings and immediately file a police report.
- Identify where the dog came from and the owner. You will need the dogs vaccination records and the owners contact and insurance information to make sure your medical bills are covered. You will not want to undergo expensive rabies treatment if unnecessary.
- Call 911 for immediate medical care or drive to your medical provider for a checkup as soon as possible. Infections are common and the wound should be cleaned and bandaged by a professional.
- File a bite report with the local police department. This will help document the incident and hold the owner responsible for any leash law or other local ordinance violations.
- Take photographs of the scene and dog if possible. Also take pictures to document the wound, bruises, scratches, torn and bloody clothing.
- Contact a dog bite attorney like the attorneys at ReisLaw to help with the claim process and make sure you receive the best medical treatment for your injury.
- Keep daily logs of your symptoms and treatment until all medical treatment is complete.
Dogs often bite workers including landscapers, mail carriers, handymen or house cleaners. When this happens you may have a workers compensation and third party liability case against the dog owner/insurer. It is important to have a lawyer experienced at both to get the maximum result from both cases.
call (404) 876-4200 today or contact ReisLaw, Atlanta’s Leading Personal Injury Law Firm. Our consultations are absolutely FREE. We will help you fully understand your rights in this situation. Our attorneys have specialized training in the fields of Workers’ Compensation as well as Personal Injuries.